POMERANIAN SHEDDING (II) – CARE
In the previous post, we started to talk about shedding, the natural and healthy stage that our Pomeranians go through and their types (from puppy to adult, seasonal annual shedding and female shedding). If you missed this publication, you can read it again by clicking here.
Going on with this topic, today we’ll talk about what care you should provide to your doggy during the shedding, not only to make it look as beautiful as possible, but above all to make it feel good and avoid problems in the future with knots, mats and forced haircuts.
As you will see, some of these tips are obvious, but it is always good to remember them 🙂
- Daily brushing in shedding season to remove dead hair and thus to prevent it from tangling.
- Thorough brushing, for small sections, without forgetting any.
- Using a good brush to avoid damaging the coat. We always recommend the slicker brush and the so called ‘butter brush’ for the final touch: a brush with extrasoft teeth, placed in a special way on a very flexible rubber surface. It is very light, easy to handle and very important, it doesn’t break or damage the coat and it is very smooth to the skin.
- Using a conditioner spray when brushing to prevent hair split: in fact, the conditioner spray should be used whenever we brush our Pomeranian, but even more during the shedding season, because we are going to brush it more often.
- The ideal thing is to set always a specific grooming time in the day, to not neglect this task. A good time may be, for example, after dinner, while watching TV.
- More frequent baths, not only to help him to pull its puppy coat out to make appear its adult coat, but also because a clean coat is less likely to develop knots.
Despite following these tips in a very conscientious way, it is quite possible that your Pomeranian has some knots, especially in armpits, between the hind legs and behind and below the ears (looking as if it has dreadlocks ;), because the hair is much thinner in these areas and therefore more vulnerable to knots.
- What to do in case of finding mats?
In this situation, our best weapons are brush, conditioner spray and lots of patience. And only if, after trying a long time, it is impossible to get rid of the mat, we will turn to scissors with extreme caution. To do this, we will place a comb between the mat and skin so that the comb acts as a shield and we don’t harm the skin of our doggy, and we will divide the mat into several sections to make the untangle task easier.
In case of complicated mat… consult and visit your groomer.
Finally, and without being alarmist, the formation of knots in the Pomeranians’ coat can make that knots, as they clump on the skin, will soak in the moisture of the dog’s body oil secretions, causing issues such as skin yeast infections and terrible smell, and end up leading to haircut and drastic and unwanted shaves. That’s why Pomeranian care in shedding season is a very important topic, not so much because of esthetic reasons, but rather because of its health.