HARNESS OR COLLAR IN POMERANIANS?
One of the first issues that arise when we have our puppy ready for a walk for the first time, after having vaccinated it, is whether using a harness or a collar.
This is a very personal matter that, as always, will depend on you, the owners, and above all, on how your dogs feel more comfortable.
After taking into account all the harness and collar pros and cons, we’ve come to the conclusion that we prefer to use a harness for Colette, especially for health and safety reasons.
HARNESS’ ADVANTAGES AS OPPOSED TO THE COLLAR
- Safety => In case that a dog attacks our puppy, we can lift our dog up with the harness, and play it safe without choking it or damaging its neck.
- Safety => The harness, which covers up more space in the dog than a collar just for the neck, prevents that our Pomeranian can easily slip away and escape, a fact that could especially be usual in shedding season.
- Health => The harness placed on the body’s dog, and not on its neck like the collar, prevents it from suffering throat problems, the so-called tracheal collapse, very common in Pomeranian dogs.
- Health => If your dog usually pulls the leash when it goes for a walk, you can bring it closer to you with the harness, to walk at your side, without damaging its neck.
- Esthetic => It’s true that maybe there are more beautiful and a greater variety of collars than harnesses in the market, but don’t forget that our Pomeranians are little fur balls, in which these beautiful collars will be camouflaged and they will be hardly seen.
Important! To avoid damaging our Pomeranians’ coat:
-Harness should be made of leather, not from nylon.
-Just use the harness to go outside for a walk, not at home. We only recommend you the use of the harness at home for puppies and just for a few minutes a day, we’ll extend the time gradually, so that the puppy feels comfortable with its first “clothes” and thus be better prepared when it goes outside the first time.
In today’s post, we want to show you two Colette’s harnesses:
-The pink harness, with fur inside, is warmer and bundled up for cold days. This model of harness is highly recommended for its safety because besides the velcro, it incorporates a closure clip with rings to attach the leash. It is easy to put on and Colette feels very comfortable in it.
-The blue harness, thinner and totally adjustable depending on the abundance of fur, for any time of the year.
And you, do you prefer a harness or a collar for your Pomeranians?
As always, we’d love to know your opinion in the comments section of this post.